Monday, June 12, 2006

Duncan explains his 'extra incentive'

Duncan said he supported leasing and selling the shuttered public school to Abramoff's private school in order to get people "using those schools to get rid of the neighborhood blight," the Washington Post reports.

Community members opposed the plan, Duncan says, "Because it was Yeshiva. It was Yeshiva, okay?"

The perceived anti-Semitism - not the Abramoff money from Guam and Saipan - was "an extra incentive to me" to push for the handover of the public school to the lobbyist's private school, Duncan explains, adding, "I wasn't going to tolerate that kind of behavior in Montgomery County."

In all his years as County Executive, "I've only walked out of one meeting, and it was a meeting with the Belt neighbors, because their comments were so outrageous. I said, 'I'm not going to listen to this any more.'"